Friday 7 September 2012

Well, here I am stepping out into the unknown. First foot down, first footprint. First of many I hope. It's about time I entered the unreal world and started blogging. This is my first tentative foray, and I'm hoping it might give me a taste for it.

I'm the writer-in-residence for the Pennine Watershed Project this year and I've been doing various things for them. I took a group of adults with learning difficulties up to Hurstwood reservoir and we had a great time, looking at wildlife, walking through the woods and by the water, having a picnic and speaking haiku into hand held recording discs.

Next weekend I'm doing a Family Drop In at Bracken Hall Visitors Centre, near Saltaire and Shipley. Have you been there? It's really lovely - up on a ridge with craggy rocks and grassland dropping down to woodland and wildflower meadows, and moors rising up behind. I'd never been before, and it was a real revelation. We took the dog and she was so excited when she got out of the car - Yes, a lovely place!! Woof, woof!! I can run and run!!  Anyway, the drop in session is on Saturday 15th September and I've put in a special order for good weather. Come and string some words together with me, make some footprints, and discover the delights of Baildon Moor and Shipley Glen.

I've been doing some other things too, and there's more coming up, but I'll get to that later. One step at a time. I've created this blog as part of my residency, and I'm going to blog every day throughout the South Pennine Walk and Ride Festival - that's 8-23 September. I'm going to write about all the walking I do with Bet the dog and anyone else who wants to come with me. And it all starts tomorrow! See you then.


3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read your day to day impressions of the Festival and all that it has to offer. Fingers crossed for sunshine and lots of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I won't be able to make events every day, but I'll go to what I can. And I'll keep walking whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you write. You make me feel as if I am walking with you. Thank you

    ReplyDelete